Saturday, July 26, 2008

Big Thanks & a Hearty Congratulations!

This weekend I headed to the OC for a very dear friend's wedding. The morning came when I was to leave. I was so absolutely keyed up, that I woke up feeling very ill and still needing to pack my suitcase. I went back to sleep in hopes that it would help take the edge off, as it usually does. That worked for about five minutes after I got up and then the anxiety returned.

On my way to the airport, in order to help calm my nerves I called GM to talk. She very geniously pointed out to me that this would be my first trip that did not involve going "home" or anywhere near it. After this realization I wasn't calmed down right away, but it did allow me to think about things.

I've taken road trips before in similar situations, but in those cases, I knew exactly where I was going. It's hard to explain quite what I mean. Anyway, it dawned on me later that day as I was picking up the rental car, "This is my first 'adult' trip." Not adult in any nawty sense, but in the sense that I am over 25 and pretty much going on vacation alone. I planned it from start to finish and was in charge of making all the arrangements/accommodations for myself. A really big step for me.

When I arrived everything went fairly smooth. As soon as I walked out of the airport, anticipating a blast of extreme heat, as I have been taught to expect here in the sandbox, I was pleasantly surprised! I thought I was at home, only it was less humid. It was love at first...sight? Anyway you get my drift.

Thanks to a very dear friend I was able to stay in the area that I had wanted to, which was relatively close to the airport, but not obnoxiously so. It was two miles from the coast. Woot!

That night I was to attend the family dinner as requested by my friend, so figured it was cool. I even had to double check with her to make sure it was. I arrived a little early for dinner and got to spend time talking with Nat and catching up. I alway feel like there isn't too much to tell about myself in situations like that because truly, much never seems to change.

But I digress.

Dinner was pretty good Mexican food. The burrito should be called a burro because there was nothing little about it. It took up a whole one of those turkey roaster pans...just for one...ONE! They also had some tasty brownies in mint, oreo, peanut butter, marshmallow, and strawberry frosting.

I headed back up to Newport when things died down. When I got there the temple lights were still on, but sadly my phone takes for.ev.er. To get into camera mode, and so no pic :(

The next AM I was a little late getting to the temple, but made it in time to jump in a few pics. My friend's dear grandparents have decided to help me get married as well and set me up with guys around my age. This is probably the first wedding where I have people have actively been trying to get me married as well. Which I find funny. Even at my sisters' weddings there was never any of that so it was a unique experience for me.

After pics we headed back over to her parent's house, which I had intended to get a picture off the end of their back yard which overlooks a golf course, and is right on the edge of the national forest. B-E-A-U-tiful. Alas, no dice there either. Although we got into a massive Twilight series discussion, which was spurred on by several things. teehee. I even showed off Lauren's Bite.

The time came to get dressed in our finery and head over to the Country Club for the reception. When we rolled up, they even had complementary valet. Woot! Dinner was TASTY! It was some of the best reception food I have ever had at a wedding! It was better than MMMM MMM good! The flowers were Amay-za-zing. It was so beautiful yet simple.

During the reception, I was asked to go get their marriage license back at the house and had to make two trips for that one because the house was locked. Then there was dancing, although I saddened by the fact that there was no Ice Ice Baby to lip sync to ;)

But seriously, in my time driving I realized that I need to thank Nat for my "big break" and the opportunity for my first solo vacation.

All in all it was a good time. Although a little word to the wise, if you're going to trash/junk up "decorate" the get away car, make sure you use stuff that isn't going to ruin the car ie shaving cream which will etch the windows. That's why they invented car window paint. ;)

This morning I did NOT want to leave! It was so beautiful there and the weather was perfect, I had a hard time going to the airport. Although oddly enough some people who were at the wedding were on my flight back into the oven full of sand.

So to my dear friend Nat,

Congrats to you and Robert! You've worked hard and got exactly what you wanted.
P.S. I'm pretty sure that Esther had you pegged ;) and one other thing, sorry about the crappy hand writing on your sign-in book. I can't write well, when I'm nervous/ stressed out.

BIG HUGS
~PK

8 comments:

Deena said...

See. I told you so. And I'm ALWAYS right. Well, not so much anymore, but this time I was right. Lurve you.

Mindi said...

alas, i have always wanted to go to a "real" wedding reception (translation: one that did not invovle the stake center) but i've still never been.

congrats on getting there and back in one piece!

Physcokity said...

Thanks for the support GM you're better than a push-up bra!

Physcokity said...

Mindi trust me, when they get out of the stake center it just seems to make the reception much more personable, and less like a church function!

All three of my sisters went non-church building route, and trust me I liked it a whole lot better!

b. said...

Awww.....I'm so glad you had such a good time!
And reading the part about it being your first big girl outing made me tear up a bit.
Atta GIRL!!

Physcokity said...

Gracias b.! I feel like I'm so out of the loop right now, but I think people are slowing down on teh bloggage due to the upcoming jamboree

Coordination Queen said...

I'm glad you had fun. Grown up trips are lot of fun. :)

Physcokity said...

Yes Saturday was truly a blast. I could have stayed forever I think.