Wednesday, September 5, 2007

What Goes Up Must Come Crashing Down, With A Bang

Last Friday afternoon I was looking forward to some serious R&R on Monday, after moving into my new place. I fully expected that it would take most of the day on Saturday & Sunday afternoon to get situated which was ok by me because I had Monday to actually take the “me” time.

On Saturday morning, I decided to properly celebrate moving out of the emotionally toxic waste dump that was my former apartment (ok so maybe it wasn’t that bad, or at least I didn’t think it was, but whatev the reign of terror is over.)

It was so good I cried a little
(ok so I almost starting sobbing uncontrollably, but I loved every minute of it! and I’m going back for seconds this weekend! yay for coupons)

But I digress

So the room is finally pulled together and looking good.
I decided to go ahead and call it a night.
I crawled into bed looking forward to the grand possibility of sleeping in the next day…

Bright & early Monday morning roughly between the hours of two and three am my closet decided to spontaneously combust.
Translation: the pole came crashing down. Having been through this experience a couple years ago, I promptly rolled over and went back to sleep & while nodding off again thought, “I’ll handle this tomorrow.”

About 6 hours later I emerged fully refreshed and ready to face the daunting task ahead…yeah right
But I got up anyway having completely forgotten about the whole closet thing. When the incident was refreshed to my memory, I removed the clothing from the fallen rod. I examined the fixtures and realized that the weight of the everything that was hung on the bar was too much for the flimsy fixtures that were in there, and not only that but this had not been the first time something like this had happened either. I thought to myself, “Maybe it wouldn’t have come down if I didn’t have so many skeletons in the closet” ;)
So ever in need of help, I called Lady for some expert creative advice. I got quite a few suggestions as to how to proceed with the fixing of the problem. I decided to try out the first one which was to install a closet organizer so I trot myself on over to the closest hardware store. Thankfully it’s less than a mile from the house.

I also intended to put up the same hardware just slightly reinforced, this meant a few other fastening accoutrements to secure the flange. I realized after I left the store that this installment would also require the use of some tools, which I did not have in my possession. Naturally, I gave Methodical Wormer a call to procure said instruments.

I returned to the scene of the crime, opened the box and much to my chagrin this required the use of other instruments which I have no tolerance for (OK so I have the tolerance to use this stuff, but being OCD means that the quest for perfection would exceed the length of my patience). I thought, I can eye it up or just “fake it” so in testing the height of the equipment I also discovered that this white elephant I was thinking of installing would be completely obsolete. Frustration, anguish, a phone call & a foot of duct tape later the white elephant was returned to the store!

Post ridding myself of said nuisance, I took my second tour of the local hardware store which included stops at the plumbing supply section as well as the closet section. I love my ghetto fab life! I even nosed around the power tools section paying particular attention at this point of interest, but hurriedly decided I need to go home and get this done today, so straightway went to the checkout. The individual who was checking the merchandise, questioned my particular choice of closet rod combo’d with my choice of flange. I must note here that it was glittersmama’s suggestion that “[I] should have hit the criticizing man at Lowe's with the seven foot piece of pipe that [I was] purchasing. Not here, or here so much, but right along here...”

Where was I?
Oh yes.

As soon as I was out of the store I immediately phoned Lady, recounted the happening, and during this conversation with her determined that since MW’s cordless drill was dead & I had no idea where to begin looking for the charger; it was high time I acquired one of my own. So…you guessed it. ROUND 3 :D At least this time I didn’t have to drive all the way home & back to figure it out ;) Except this time I called Loofy, (Lady’s husband) to get the low down on what goods to purchase. After about 5 minutes it was a done deal.

By this time there was a wonderful perfume filling the air that was coming from the other end of the parking lot. What was it you ask well let me show you…

I get the goods home, and alas to my dismay, I find out that the new battery requires a minimum charge of 9 hours…double grr. I found a few things to distract me and take up time to prepare for the next step in this lovely process and discovered that it required yet another trip to my new found hangout. Except this time I knew exactly what I needed and where to get it. I was a woman on a mission!
I return home. Battery still needs to charge. I realize that hoping I would be able to complete the project on this day was futile. This came only after bullseye hopping for about 3 hours and returning MW’s now dead battery drill. I took the clothes off my bed and then placed them neatly on the floor.


I marked where I was going to place the flanges, and then collapsed into bed.

Tuesday evening after work, I mounted the flanges as well as the now severely deformed center support before heading off to ballet. I plan on finishing this sweet little project this evening. Hopefully it won’t take FOR-EV-ER.

One thing I have learned thus far is that I like playing with power tools!

4 comments:

Deena said...

You crack me up snoobs.

Coordination Queen said...

Wow and I thought I had a lot of clothes... that has never happened to me. At least now you have started your own power tool collection. I'm so proud it almost brings tears to my eyes. ;)

Physcokity said...

Well I finished it up last night and it only took three hours from start to finish, which also included waffling on about how to set up the closet...again, but I like it and am fairly sure it will be fully functional for my needs I feel like my room is finally coming together! Hopefully it will be there by the end of the week, or at least that is the plan.

sew hot said...

What a woman? All that and power tools of her own! Now you have a new store to cruise when you have spare time.....