Monday, July 9, 2007

I Am My Father's Daughter....

I love a challenge & I love being right...and yes I have been guilty of gloating. Here follows such a case. Recently, among a group of friends a question was thrown out. Something along the lines of "Who shredded the national anthem?" Of course I knew the individual was referring to Jimi Hendrix's version. When I mentioned the fact that it was done at Woodstock, someone threw down the gauntlet quite attitudinally, "I know what Hendrix at Woodstock sounds like!" The originator of the question tried to smooth things over. Water off a duck's back to me, or as I heard so humorously the other day, BBs off a Buick...although after a while there is some damage to the exterior...I prefer the duck.

Possessing the dog with a bone type of personality, I checked to find out the truth. As I don't want to be the person running around spreading lies as truth and having egg all over my face, especially since I don't particularly care for egg and yellow is not a good color on me, I looked it up on several different sources.

Having completed my higher education, I have included my points of reference. I feel they are all fairly reliable."He closed Woodstock with a sprawling, shaky set, redeemed by his famous machine-gun interpretation of 'The Star Spangled Banner.'"
http://music.yahoo.com/ar-251618-bio--Jimi-Hendrix

"Besides suffering microphone level and guitar tuning problems, it was also apparent that Jimi's new, much larger band had not rehearsed enough, and at times simply could not keep up with him. Despite this, Hendrix managed to deliver a historic performance, which featured his highly-regarded rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, a solo improvisation which became a defining moment of the 1960s."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_hendrix#Woodstock

"Another notable Hendrix live performance came at the famed Woodstock Festival in 1969, later documented in the movie Woodstock (1970). His version of 'The Star-Spangled Banner' at Woodstock, in which Hendrix plucked the guitar with his teeth, became legendary." http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761565345/Hendrix_Jimi.html

All I have to say is don't doubt the mad music skills.

No comments: