Friday, July 20, 2007

Am I Making Any Sense Here?


Some how things just don’t seem the same as they used to. While browsing through some listings of things that people have decided to sell, I looked at the price tags on them, and it didn’t send me stressing through the roof. I even thought to myself…that really isn’t all that much.

You pay to own certain things, but do they end up owning you? For example clothing, you buy it because it looks good on you, is trendy, whatever. Later you have to care for it, and depending on it’s fiber content this could be a costly process. You’ve now assumed more invested time and money in this particular item, and you thought that stopped the minute you paid for it at the register…silly. Now you have to factor in cost of running the washer and dryer, detergent, stain removers, fabric softener, and any other laundry paraphernalia including but not limited to, hangers, drying racks, dry cleaner’s bill, etc. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying run around naked, (*flinching* if that’s what you think I advocate, please reference G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S)

That being said, back to the lesson at hand, I feel that while on some issues I am fairly cheap. For example, I don’t like to pay more than $7.00 for a short-sleeved t-shirt. I wonder if this is not why we grow into excess? It wasn't always this way was it? I'm glad my mom taught us to shop for bargains it's the only true treasure hunt left.

I think more or less what has happened here is that instead of being a poor college student with basically zero income, don't get me wrong I don't make that much, but I do have money coming in which I have earned. The time I spent in college was very formative, I learned how to be a cheap skate. This has in effect skewed my perception of cost.

8 comments:

Deena said...

Huh? At first I thought you were going to run an ad for a nudi$t colony. Since none of my clothes fit now, sign me up. Maybe we should all just be blindfolded.

Physcokity said...

lol I knew a girl who once said she wanted to join a news column post graduation I thought she said newdist colony. I kind of wondered why nobody made a big deal about what she said...it was only later I realized what she said..hehe silly me

Coordination Queen said...

as long as there isn't sand and it isn't too hot, i'd be all for the blindfolded nudist colony.

sew hot said...

I like pretty clothes and I make a living making pretty clothes. AND all four of my daughters were a part of that and liked me making them clothes. What's all the nudist talk? Silly girls.
Get your clothes on NOW!

Physcokity said...

no I prefer to hide behind great fashion, at lower cost...

Physcokity said...

At what point did anyone say that they were walking around naked....obviously you missed the GLAMOROUS post... ;)

Methodical Wormer said...

The problem with being too cheap is that you have to settle. WNTW 101 is fewer high quality peices rather than several low quality pieces of "disposable" clothing.

Physcokity said...

True story...