Friday, October 17, 2008

Exhibit 291-4A

Just in case you needed further evidence that I am in fact crazy, here’s one more.

Throughout my time at school, I had developed something of a secret burning passion of detest for doing laundry. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mind doing laundry in and of itself. I just hate having to lug all of my dirty laundry around in front of others…including all the unmentionables. I know it’s a fact of life and everything, that didn’t bother me quite so much as having to come up with the quarters to do it all. That was the real pain.

Oh, lest I forget that I am also paranoid about my clothes being stolen from the public laundry areas lasting a long time, and I’d had enough fiascos with “untested” washers and dryers to keep me rather leery of just washing when I felt like it. One fatal wash & dry cycle could make a brand new article of clothing look three years old or like it was made for a three year old.

One day in my fed-up-ish-ness, and with the biggest pile of black clothing. No, there’s nothing really significant about the color, it’s just that most of my workout clothes at the time were black, and I had quite a lot of them. But I digress. I knew I didn’t have enough quarters; and it was Saturday, which meant all of the washers were taken any way. I decided what would possibly be more efficient, and I would know exactly how much abuse my clothing would get, if I were to wash it by hand instead.

So I did just that. I filled up the tub, poured a little detergent in, and threw in the clothing…all of it.

Oh yes.

Yes I did.

It wasn’t too bad actually and for the amount of time that it would take the normal wash cycle of a washing machine to complete one load I had washed approximately 2.67 loads. I was quite pleased with the result, and the kicker was that since it was such a nice day out I was able to hang it out to dry…*please note that all the wash that was publicly “aired” was not of a personal nature, and it was clean laundry not the dirty kind. ;)

I guess I still paid for that load of laundry, but at least I didn’t have to find quarters to do it. ;)

23 comments:

Klin said...

Very cost effective.

When I met Mr he had grown up with going to the laundr-o-mat. That quickly ended with our union. Two months at the laundr-o-mat and I was looking for a used washer and dryer for our home.

Deena said...

Really? How did you rinse them out?

sew hot said...

Did you stomp on them like Lucy in your photo?

Physcokity said...

Klin trust me I feel your pain...two flights of stairs up and down...per load. I'm pretty glad those days are over.

Physcokity said...

GM ran them under the faucet...ironically I think I got most all of the remaining soap out and therefore the clean clothing did not smell like the usual "clean clothing" aka detergent plus fabric softeneer

Physcokity said...

Lady...yes I did. I figured that was one way to stir it all up and mix things around and to get the soapy water soaked through the clothes.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I use the washing machine as a basin for all the 'Wash By Hand Only' garments.

I pour some soap and then dip and rinse as the washer fills up and then I wash it out under the still streaming water. Voila!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

My Papi worked with this lady who actually told him(and everyone else in the office) that in College she'd wear her underwear inside out when it got dirty and she couldn't make it to the laundromat.

It's gross on so many levels.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

And now for the final grossness in laundry tales.

My mom had a friend who refused to do laundry. It was just her and her teenage daughter living in a big house but she preferred to just keeping buying new clothes. She'd stuff the dirty ones into trash bags and leave them in the garage.

A handy man that my mom used to dat went to the lady's home to fix some things and reported to my mom that all the clothes got moldy and stinky in the garage and had to be thrown away.

Such a frickin waste!!! Especially for a lady who can't really afford to be so foolish.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

You live in Arizona. I live in Texas. The very worst thing is buying an older home where the laundry hookups are in the sweltering hot garage.

I can't tell you how many times growing up, I'd pick up laundry off the garage floor to throw in the washer and discover giant palm-sized roaches burrowed within whiffing up the glorious stinkiness of our unwashed garments.



And then I'd have a major FREAK OUT!!!!

I made sure that we bought a house with an indoor laundry room.

Coordination Queen said...

This post just makes me appreciate my Christmas present from 2 years ago even more. But you know I'd be willing to make a deal with you. I'll wash all of your clothes if you fold all of mine... come on, it really is a good deal, I'd even pay for the laundry detergent... I've only got 3 loads waiting for you in the laundry room... I'd even haul your's downstairs! :)

Physcokity said...

EWBL- OOH I love how your mind works! I might have to give that one a whirl

Physcokity said...

EW I never stooped to that level...sadly I had enough underwear to go about a month or so before running out...I still haven't dared the commando option...

Physcokity said...

Yeah I really don't get people like that...I think she comes in probably around numero5 on the top ten epitome of laziness

Physcokity said...

At least the laundries are now in doors. I don't think I could stomach the wonders of the garage laundry episodes.

Super Happy Girl said...

I want to know more about "untested” washers and dryers.

Will this be a regular feature?

Tori :) said...

I wonder if I washed by hand if I'd save any money. I'd probably lose my sanity though considering how much laundry I do...

I never liked washing my clothes in front of others. I was always afraid I was doing it "wrong."

Tori :) said...

PS. If you want that political button email me: swampbrat@gmail.com so I can send it to you. :) Or you can steal it off isitjustrandi.blogspot.com like I did.

Physcokity said...

The testing of washing machines & dryers? or the evidence that brings my sanity into question?

Physcokity said...

Tori I didn't know there was a "wrong" way to do laundry sans rinsing with gasoline and setting it on fire OR doing like that lady as elastic described...ick!

Physcokity said...

I was hoping you'd be able to send it on facebook. I heart it!
Da button & da facebook ;P

Nancy Face said...

My washer broke one day when I had a huge load of stinky whites inside. I had to fish them out of the washer tub, wring each piece out, then hand wash them in the sink. Then drain it and hand rinse them in the sink. Then wring them out once again. Then hang a few at a time on my small clothesline. Then take them down when dry and hang out some more. It took FOREVER.

I'm just saying I can relate! :/

Physcokity said...

Wow! I can say that I definitely don't envy that experience, but thank you for sharing. I feel your pain. ;)