Saturday, June 20, 2009

Quotes From A Book

I was reading a book the other day. I had started a while back with probably her most popular novel, and from there decided that I wanted to read more of her works. They generally end on a positive note, definitely have some food for thought, and while reading my minds often wanders (in a good way), relating what I'm reading to now. That probably doesn't make sense, but in any event there were some quotes that I really liked, so you get to read them here, b/c my FB is so full of quotes I've got a "backup page" full of them.

"I'd like to know everything in the world."
"It's more than everything in the world though...It's become much bigger than that. The search for knowledge and truth can be the most exciting thing there is as long as it takes you toward God instead of away from Him." (p184)

Quoting Einstein:
The scientist's religious feeling takes the form of rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is utterly insignificant reflection. This feeling is the guiding principle of his life and work, in so far as he succeeds in keeping himself from the shackles of selfish desire. It is beyond question closely akin to that which has possessed the religious geniuses of all ages. (p185)

"'The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from self...What is the meaning of human life, or, for that matter, of the life of any creature? To know an answer to this question means to be religious. You ask: Does it make any sense, then, to post this question? I answer: The man who regards his own life and that of his fellow creatures as meaningless is not merely unhappy but hardly fit for life." (p185)