Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Time Has Come...

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."


OK so no not really. I've debated posting this for some time however short that time has been, but I feel I wouldn't be honest with myself or ya'll if I didn't.

Normally this is where I would interject some bit of humor, but I think I might just take Carrot's advice or at least follow her example. I lost my job about two weeks ago. In the ensuing aftermath I've had not as much time to think as one would suspect. I just kind of went into auto pilot mode and dealing with what's presently in front of me. I don't really want pity for the loss of the job, that's not what this is about. Yeah it sucks, but such is life, and I'm dealing with it. This loss was something that has kind of been in the works since August or so, well if we really want to get technical, it was May of last year, but I stuck my head in the sand so to speak, and held on to the bitter end, and bitter it was or at least slightly mangling to my hind parts.

In my searching and applying for jobs, I'm having the same problem I've always had. The stuff that sounds like I would enjoy doing and not get bored with right away excedes my present "qualifications." I know what I enjoy doing, and what I'm good at but the problem lies in reconciling the two. Yes, I understand that there is still validity in proper training for some positions (ie Doctoring, Pharmacist, etc). My biggest problem right now in job searching is the money, but I want to take steps that will lead me more in the direction of where I want to end up or at least where I think I would like ending up.

The problem is that the list of things I have ever seriously considered doing is so totally varied that I would essentially have to start from ground zero for any of them. I graduated from college almost three years ago, but the degree was in Home & Family Living. No I wasn't planning on getting the MRS degree, as most would suspect. I ended up choosing it because...because...well to be honest, I chose it because what I really wanted to do required the maintenance of a certain GPA, which at the time I wasn't entirely sure I could do, because I had definitely had my share of struggles in school. Eventually I took a class, ironically enough that wasn't part of my regular schooling, that very effectively reminded me that once upon a time I did like school and it was something that I did well in.

Because I didn't want to stay in school for another two years I took off the part of my degree that might have made me more marketable. The education certification, but at the time and even now I'm still not sure that teaching is really what I want to do.

I'm babbling here.

I also realized last week in my searching that the types of jobs I was taking were definitely not creating the type of resume that I would need to go in the direction I want to go. I'm sure that I'm not being creative enough or that I'm missing some very vital part to this whole finding a job/career path for me enigma, and maybe that's why I felt impressed to share this all with you. Who knows.

I guess my biggest problem is how does one turn a love for music, reading, and writing as well as a knack for knowing and remembering odd facts into a real job? OR better yet, what kind of job will allow me to continue to learn without necessarily having to pay to go to school all the time or at least pay me enough that I can afford to go to school on the $$?

OK now I'm thoroughly confused. I'm gonna go try to get rid of more "junk" that's stealing all of my valuable space around here.

12 comments:

House of Squitty said...

Hmmm...I don't have any real suggestions for you. What I can say is that I knew that I loved working with lots of different people. It took me several jobs to settle on cosmetology. I don't really care a whole lot about doing hair or nails, it's the people that I enjoy! None of my previous jobs had anything to do with it but it turned out nicely. I get to work with all types of people all day and listen to their drama or whatever and if I hate them they'll be out of my chair within an hour or so. Maybe you need to think of the qualities you have and interests and think outside the box. In the meantime, I'll think about it too and maybe I'll come up with something!

Heffalump said...

There are a lot of people that do jobs that have nothing to do with their degree, so it can be done.
There are some jobs that will help pay for extra schooling, so that might be something to look into.
Sorry I'm not more help!

Coordination Queen said...

you already know my advice... i think i've already given it to you 10 times. so i'll just say i love you and am here if you need to talk.

Super Happy Girl said...

Things happen for a reason: An overused phrase that I truly believe.

And I'd listen to my sis (if me sis was CQ) :)

Physcokity said...

"if I hate them they'll be out of my chair within an hour or so." Tiff- I love you!

Physcokity said...

Heff- It's all good I know there are jobs out there like that, it's just the finding of them that is proving to be difficult.

Don't get me wrong. I've kind of resigned myself that in order to really do what I need to do and in order to provide for myself I'm probably going to need more schol.

...especially if I keep spelling like that ;)

Physcokity said...

CQ I can't quote it verbatim, but If I try hard enough I think I can remember the gist of it. ;) I love you too.

Physcokity said...

NCS that's exactly what my BFF at my previous job told me as well. I miss her she was always super sweet and really believed in me. In fact she still does. How do I convey that I know I'm worth more than my resume appears?

Nancy Face said...

I don't know how to be of help, but I wish you well in your search! :)

Physcokity said...

Nancy Face-It's all good! As for now I'm just trying to figure out direction, which has never really been my forte.

Just what is a Clair? said...

I still think you are Claree deep down inside of you and you need a radio station to manage.:) College radio stations might be a good start.:)

Physcokity said...

H Love- Don't think that that didn't cross my mind ;) I think I might have finally figured out what to do. The question is simply one of when so to speak.