Friday, March 6, 2009

So, It's All Settled Then?

I've made a decision which will give my life new purpose and direction over the next few years. This decision also involves having to shed most of my worldly possessions which is kind of rough considering I bought most all of them with my own money. Since I got such good deals on the furniture items, I could probably get the money out that I put into them, but that's not the point of this post. As it would be too expensive to tote said items, they've got to go.

Strange enough the thought of having to sell these items is making me more anxious than most anything else. As I was able to unload some of my unnecessary belongings to one of my former roommates and friend, I felt lighter, and really good about giving it to someone who I know will use the stuff. I know it's all just "stuff" and can be replaced, but I'm a cheap skate with expensive taste.

Truth be told there are only two pieces of furniture with which I am semi-loathe to part. My green chair hideous beast well loved piece that it is, and my bed or more affectionately my mattress which I scored MW helped me snag for $40 at a rockin' furniture auction.

It's the first time I've ever really known what it was like to have a good new mattress. No offense intended towards the family or anyone else, but honestly there's nothing like it. Truly don't read any negativity into that statement it was just factual. my sisters can attest to this, as I think the first time they ever really had new mattresses were when/after they got married.

I've got some black wire racks on the short side if anybody wants to stop by some time this week and pick them up as well as a collapsable TV stand which I have been using as a compy desk. Come by my house and we'll see what I can hook you up with in the way of semi used furnishings...they all have to go within the next week or so. After that they will probably be found at your my local charity resale store.

14 comments:

Coordination Queen said...

As I was reading this, I kept singing the Jefferson's theme song in my head. :) Oh and I also realized that if you complain enough about your mattress at an apartment complex, they give you a new one... :)

Heffalump said...

No details?

Just what is a Clair? said...

SERIOUSLY! What are your plans?!?! I am so curious about the goings on of my chum.:)
You know this is a great tactic for people keeping in better touch.:) So whahahaha I will keep it a secret what my secret mission is today until you spill the details. Is that blackmail? We have been watching this hilarious Brittish Comedy(Jeeves and Wooster) where the bulk of the plots are blackmailing Hugh Laurie into doing something they want done. Anyways, I love a new mattress. I think I am in love with mine. It came after we hadn't had a mattress at all for about a month. I also love getting rid of things. It is SOOOO freeing!

sew hot said...

the one you are getting is great! Any complaints talk to management. You might have to beat some Guamainians(?)at 3 am, but that might be remedied.

sew hot said...

When I have to unload stuff or stuff breaks, I say to myself, "oh, boy, I get to get new stuff. When some of my stuff is 30+ years, it is time. However, right now I'm on a buying moritorium. See how little I can spend on STUFF..it is just stuff. "Cast off the shackles of yesterday, shoulder to shoulder..."

Nancy Face said...

I get attached to some of my stuff, so I'm VERY impressed with you, being able to get rid of everything!

Carrot Jello said...

I could get rid of my stuff. Yeah, but then I'd have none. Then where would I be? At home with nothing. Which would be fine. Until someone came over. Then I'd be all, "Oh yeah, just pick somewhere and sit." and they'd look around and leave. Then I'd be all alone with nothing. Then where would I be? I'd be in a sad place. That's where.
I think I'll keep my stuff.

Physcokity said...

CQ- Hopefully those days of sleeping on 30+ year old mattresses are over *knocks on wood*

"It's the Lone Honkey!"

Physcokity said...

Sorry for the unorganization Heff. The details include me moving to my home state by way of driving across the Southern US, including, but not limited to Texas. 16 hours across 1 state? I'm not looking forward to it that much.

From there I will work and go to school until I complete a degree in the medical field...I'm thinking nursing. At least at this point in time.

Physcokity said...

HL- Forgive me I got caught up in a tangent about my bed and a chair, but I've enjoyed them and find it hard to part with them, but that day is quickly approaching.

I think I might like that show you're watching. I remember when you guys were sleeping on the collapsable bed(?).

Yes I will most likely be enjoying the "dropping off" of things. I've been reading this book off and on called Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? it's written by one of the organizer dudes who was on Clean Sweep
(dunno if that show still goes on, although I'd be pretty sure it does, people tend to hang on to things). Any way I find that there is quite a bit to be learned and figured out and gotten rid of in order to gett myself where I want to go/be.

Physcokity said...

Nancy Face- Don't misunderstand me. There are a few things that I am still hanging on to, but most of the rest of it will go, somewhat to my chagrin.

Physcokity said...

Lady- I like the beds a su casa. At least the one I'm going to be crashing in for a while.

I'm with you on the not spending anything schtick but that's kind of why I'm having difficulties in letting go, because I scored some of this stuff at such good deals. I know I'll probably never be able to get them again :(

Physcokity said...

Carrot- Nothing is more boring than being at home...with nothing.

Hence I had filled mine up with "stuff" it was very museum like. Even before I moved out of my parent's house, my little sister referred to my room as "the museum" because I knew where everything was and if someone moved something I would know exactly what they had moved.

As a matter of fact this kind of became a game for GM when she was home again.

Just what is a Clair? said...

That is so exciting! My secret mission was to clean out my office/sewing room. It may not sound like a mission. BUT MAN IT IS TAKING FOREVER! I am pretty good at organizing, but this space has gotten me to my limit!
I am so excited for you! One of my favorite books I read this year was Florence Nightingale's NOTES ON NURSING. It is probably a little boring to some people but I found some of it very applicable. It totally inspired me to make my house more clean-air friendly.:)